Subject: Re: [boost] Splitting/rearranging Boost.Utility
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 19:04:29

On 11 December 2013 23:41, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> "Peter Dimov" <lists_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>>
>>> What part of that means only one person is qualified to make those
>>> decisions?
>>
>> Nothing theoretically precludes the number of people qualified to make
>> those decisions from being 118. In practice, however, the average
>> hovers somewhere below one.
>>
>>> The community maintenance idea just means that that responsibility
>>> is shared between members of a team.
>>
>> Yeah, I know that too. You're talking theory. I'm talking practice and
>> history.
>
> Countless open-source projects successfully run this way aren't just a
> theory. Not to mention commercial software developers who maintain code
> together in teams every day.

Most successful open source projects are very picky about who has
commit access. It seems unlikely that this community team would
consist of people who have sufficiently proven themselves in the boost
community to maintain core components. The "many eyes" theory doesn't
require commit access to work.