Subject: Re: [boost] Splitting/rearranging Boost.Utility
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 19:24:46

Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On 11 December 2013 23:41, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> Nothing theoretically precludes the number of people qualified to make
>>> those decisions from being 118. In practice, however, the average
>>> hovers somewhere below one.

>>> Yeah, I know that too. You're talking theory. I'm talking practice and
>>> history.
>>
>> Countless open-source projects successfully run this way aren't just a
>> theory. Not to mention commercial software developers who maintain code
>> together in teams every day.
>
> Most successful open source projects are very picky about who has
> commit access.

That's cruical. A free-for-all would just be silly.

> It seems unlikely that this community team would
> consist of people who have sufficiently proven themselves in the boost
> community to maintain core components.

I'm sure there's more than one person who understands the core
components. Having it otherwise would put Boost in a vulnerable
posistion. There's a good reason that companies make sure no important
component is understood by just one developer.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)