Subject: Re: [boost] Splitting/rearranging Boost.Utility
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-14 14:48:35

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> OK. Is there a consensus on at least a part of the suggested changes,
>> what is the procedure of creating new repositories and moving files from
>> one repository to another, and what can I do to expedite the process?
>>

> Once the Community Maintenance Team gets approved by the steering
> committee (which is in process of voting now) and is up and running this
> sort of request can be handled by them. In the meantime, it falls in the
> release manager's collective laps.
>
> I've polled the other release managers, and hopefully will have a response
> real soon now.

OK, the release managers are agreed - Peter will get the necessary
permissions and he now has the necessary authority to do what ever is
needed.

Daniel James commented:

"As for moving the files to a different repo, I think it depends on
whether he wants to preserve the file history. If he doesn't then just
copy the file. If he does, then I think he needs to use 'git
filter-branch' to create a new history with just the appropriate
file's history and then merge that into the other repo, or maybe use
it as the basis of a new repo. Or perhaps he could create a branch,
delete all the other files and then merge that into the other repo. I
haven't got any experience of this, so I might be wrong. It might be
best to start a new thread for others' opinions."

I googled "git move file to another repository with history", and it looks
like history preserving moves are frequently asked, and been covered in
blogs, stackoverflow, etd.

See
http://gbayer.com/development/moving-files-from-one-git-repository-to-another-preserving-history/

--Beman