Subject: Re: [boost] Removing _1 from the global namespace (again)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-15 20:25:26

On 14 Dec 2013 at 18:56, Peter Dimov wrote:

> If we're going to call the next release 2.0, we'll be allowed some latitude
> with respect to breaking changes, so maybe this is the right time to finally
> remove the Bind placeholders from the global namespace.
> [snip]
> So I'll need a certain amount of community consensus before going ahead and
> breaking everyone's code. :-)

I think improving conformance with standards is the one
uncontroversial set of breaking changes Boost can make, and therefore
requires no community consensus, just fair warning it's coming.

It's relatively trivial for older libraries in to inject the
placeholders namespace into their own local namespace if they need a
quick fix anyway, so I'd press ahead as soon as possible here. IMHO
of course.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/