Subject: Re: [boost] Release numbering
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-15 21:48:26

> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Henrik Sundberg <storangen_at_[hidden]
> > >wrote:
> > > Will the first Git release of Boost be 2.0? If not; why?

I've raised this issue beforehand on the list a few years ago, but I
believe it to be worth mentioning again.

Bumping the major version number in a project that only ever has had
1.x versions may cause a lot of breakages in software and build systems
that assumes that as the major version has always been 1, the minor
version number is the only one worth testing.

If you're to bump the major version, it better come with so much other
incompatibility that source and tooling compatibility is completely gone
anyway.

If you're not going for a big bang, why bump something that communicates
that a major (see what I did there) upheaval has been done.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]