Subject: [boost] Getting Started Testing with Linux virtual machine on Windows host
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-16 13:42:35

I'm primarily a Windows developer, but like to be able to test locally on
both Windows and Linux so I don't have to wait for Boost's regression tests
to cycle. For several years I've done that on a Linux virtual machine. I
just rebuilt my virtual machine and kept a log so I could share how it is
done.

Such a virtual machine is free and is easy enough that most Boost library
maintainers who use Windows could do the setup in an afternoon, most of
which is just downloading files, and can be overlapped with other work.

See https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartTestingLinuxOnWindows

Corrections or other comments appreciated.

Enjoy!

--Beman

PS: The process would work in the other direction too, but it would require
a Windows license (I.E. not free) and I don't have experience going in that
direction so can't write about it.