Subject: Re: [boost] Getting Started Testing with Linux virtual machine on Windows host
From: Cox, Michael (mhcox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-17 01:28:53

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I'm primarily a Windows developer, but like to be able to test locally on
> both Windows and Linux so I don't have to wait for Boost's regression tests
> to cycle. For several years I've done that on a Linux virtual machine. I
> just rebuilt my virtual machine and kept a log so I could share how it is
> done.
>
> Such a virtual machine is free and is easy enough that most Boost library
> maintainers who use Windows could do the setup in an afternoon, most of
> which is just downloading files, and can be overlapped with other work.
>
> See https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartTestingLinuxOnWindows
>
> Corrections or other comments appreciated.

Hopefully this won't cause a Linux distribution flame war, but I run Fedora
Linux in VirtualBox mainly because it tends to be one of the first
distributions to release the latest g++/clang++ compilers. After
installing the distribution, installing vbox additions on Fedora (and maybe
other distributions) requires you:

   - Use the VirtualBox Manager app storage settings to
   "insert" VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the CD/DVD-ROM drive
   - Use the Linux file manager to open the CD/DVD-ROM
   drive containing the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and click "Run Software".

Recommend changing:

sudo mv b2 /usr/bin

sudo mv b2 /usr/local/bin

Michael