Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 08:26:10

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> OK.... so I do a
>
> Git pull
>
> at the top level (note: using TortoiseGit), and I see lots of messages in
> the log indicating which libraries have updates, and judging by the time
> taken they seem to be downloaded (?), but I don't actually see any changes
> in the libraries themselves.
>
> BTW I have every library set explicitly to either "develop" or "master".
>
> If I do a "git pull" on an individual library then the changes do come
> through OK.
>
> So what's the right way to do this?

When you pull the superproject, it only checks out the submodules at
the specific revision that, I believe, is updated manually now by
someone with the write access to the superproject. If you want to
checkout the latest revisions of the develop or master branches of all
submodules, you can use git submodule foreach, e.g.:

git submodule foreach git checkout master
git submodule foreach git pull