Subject: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 08:00:35

OK.... so I do a

Git pull

at the top level (note: using TortoiseGit), and I see lots of messages in
the log indicating which libraries have updates, and judging by the time
taken they seem to be downloaded (?), but I don't actually see any changes
in the libraries themselves.

BTW I have every library set explicitly to either "develop" or "master".

If I do a "git pull" on an individual library then the changes do come
through OK.

So what's the right way to do this? I assume it's not a "submodule update"
as that seems to leave everything in a detached head state which I take it
is a bad idea?

I'm also seeing a lot of negative comments about Git submodules on the web,
for example:
http://codingkilledthecat.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/why-your-company-shouldnt-use-git-submodules/,
seems like there's a lot of potential to shoot yourself in the
foot/head/chest here?

Thanks, John.