Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 09:08:58

On 19 December 2013 13:00, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I assume it's not a "submodule update"
> as that seems to leave everything in a detached head state which I take it
> is a bad idea?

I'm not going to suggest it is a bad or good idea, but it is certainly how
submodules work, yet it is different situation to what was in the SVN
repository.

A git submodule "always pointed at a particular commit" [1] in
external repository.
Clearly, this is not equivalent arrangement to SVN trunk which was:

@Revision-Z
/boost/fusion
/boost/spirit

and if I look at it, I can be certain I look at the same repository,
at the same branch, at the same Boost snapshot.

Now, we have

@SHA:X
/boost/fusion
@SHA:Y
/boost/spirit

where X and Y are commits in different repositories, may be in
different branches
and Boost snapshot is a union of all @SHA:* linked from boost.

The new order requires a kind of a shift in thinking.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-submodule.html

Best regards,

--
Mateusz  Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net