Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 16:01:16

On 12/19/2013 02:00 PM, John Maddock wrote:
> OK.... so I do a
>
> Git pull
>
> at the top level (note: using TortoiseGit), and I see lots of messages
> in the log indicating which libraries have updates, and judging by the
> time taken they seem to be downloaded (?), but I don't actually see any
> changes in the libraries themselves.
>
> BTW I have every library set explicitly to either "develop" or "master".
>
> If I do a "git pull" on an individual library then the changes do come
> through OK.
>
> So what's the right way to do this? I assume it's not a "submodule
> update" as that seems to leave everything in a detached head state which
> I take it is a bad idea?
>
> I'm also seeing a lot of negative comments about Git submodules on the
> web, for example:
> http://codingkilledthecat.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/why-your-company-shouldnt-use-git-submodules/,
> seems like there's a lot of potential to shoot yourself in the
> foot/head/chest here?

I don't think it is hard to agree that git submodule it not a perfect
tool, but which available alternative is perfect?

I have the feeling it is because it is not as simple of a problem as it
seems at first and it has taken a long time for the tools to mature to
current level. Hopefully there are still potential for improvements.

I have seen naive attempts to do what submodule attempts to do, "the
right way", that has failed completely in improving the overall
situation. Champions of such attempts often get too much invested
interest in their solution to admit its failure. If I should suggest
something it would be to use submodules but provide firm guidelines
and/or scripts help the developers with simple ways to do it right and
avoid the pitfalls.

--
Bjørn