Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 17:32:54

On 12/19/2013 11:14 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> No amount of scripting is going yo help those of us not wanting to use the
> git cli. And this is something I mentioned early on. If something past
> basic git functionality is needed as a regular course of use the move to
> git will fail.

You have point, however I am not sure the GUI you choose know nothing of
how to help you use submodule and avoid its pitfalls, In any case,
since only a few will have to do commits in the super project that
changes submodule commits, and that may even be more or less completely
automated, I am not sure these advertised problems with submodules will
actually manifest themselves in Boost.

> I saw an article some time ago about a git feature that should be used
> instead of sub modules.. but I can't find it right now. Perhaps someone can
> find that alternative arrangement?

There was some talk on the list on git subtree which are now standard
command in git, but I doubt it is a good alternative for Boost.

--
Bjørn