Subject: Re: [boost] [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-19 22:15:36

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 12/19/2013 11:14 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> No amount of scripting is going yo help those of us not wanting to use the
>> git cli. And this is something I mentioned early on. If something past
>> basic git functionality is needed as a regular course of use the move to
>> git will fail.
>>

> You have point, however I am not sure the GUI you choose know nothing of
> how to help you use submodule and avoid its pitfalls, In any case, since
> only a few will have to do commits in the super project that changes
> submodule commits, and that may even be more or less completely automated,
> I am not sure these advertised problems with submodules will actually
> manifest themselves in Boost.

I'm one of those that has to do commits to the super project :-\ As for the
GUI.. Currently my preferred choice is Eclipse. And it fails at step #0.
After asking twice on this list for help, I eventually figured out it is
confused as to how the submodules are specified in the Boost superproject
and refused to "init" the submodules (which I eventually had to do by
hand/cli).

In the git.py module I wrote for testing I deal with submodules for
fetching mostly correctly.. But even it doesn't work for fetching Boost as
the content itself confuses it into throwing exceptions. So now I'm faced
with writing a wrapper around the git cli for testing.. And feeling like I
don't have any idea what the proper way to fetch the correct stuff from
github is. But I'll post about that in another thread.

But git is what the community chose.. So I'll just have to deal with it :-\

-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything