Subject: Re: [boost] sidenote about guis (Re: [git] How the blazes are you supposed to update all the submodules?)
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-20 13:37:27

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> (Please, adjust subject line for changed topic!)
>
> On 20 December 2013 11:15, Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > These days I only use SourceTree for both git and hg. It's cross
> platform,
>
> It's not cross platform, but Windows and Mac only
>
> https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/149631/sourcetree-for-linux?page=1#comment-158603

Well, technically, that's cross-platform...with 2 platforms only :D
But yeah it's not yet available on linux.

> A note on my own experience:
> 0. First, I aim to be comfy with git command, if not, then I will
> never understand git really.

I did that too using books, but as soon as I got into complex usage, I
stoped because I didn't feel the need.
I expect a good ui tool to provide me ready-to-use command line context to
do some receipes if necessary.

> 1. Then, I use SourceTree where I can to complement git command
> (branches visualisation, etc.)
> 2. I use Qt Creator with its Git plugin which is nothing more than git
> command proxy,
> hence equivalent to git command.
> BTW, I'd like to do a bit of propaganda about Boost.Build support for
> Qt Creator:
> https://github.com/mloskot/qt-creator-plugin-boostbuild

I didn't try this one. noted.

By the way, personally I don't like having plugins into IDE to manage
repository.
One reason is that I like to separate the time for coding (in the IDE) and
the time for reviewing the code (in the DSVC ui tool)
in particular if both tools takes the same full screen, so that I can be
more critical to my own code (I don't have coworkers to review my code
currently :/ )
The other reason is that most IDE plugins for managing repos I've used (in
Eclipse and VS) tend to not provide enough commands or be very idiomatic
and less flexible to setup your own team-specific workflow.
But that's obviously minor things.