Subject: Re: [boost] [git][multi_index] help merging from develop
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-24 08:34:07

> I've tried following the instructions on
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModMaint
>
> but I obviously screwed up something. After creating my first merge point
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/multi_index/
> commit/802543fd948b5cf41460addf2260693f08cf7f8d
>
> a subsequent merge from develop doesn't change any code:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/multi_index/
> commit/3239677c40b6e15d1bb49675cabb077460333538
>
> even though branch develop is indeed different from (and more
> recent than) the code in master (it contains changes from about
> one month or so intended for Boost 1.56 that weren't published when
> the branch master was originally created)
>
> Heeeelp! Thanks for bearing with an incompetent Git user.

I'm not sure what's happened here, if I look at:
https://github.com/boostorg/multi_index/commits/master I see lots of commits
post the last SVN merge on Aug 28th - which is what I would expect - "git
merge" works by replaying the commits from one branch on another, and that
appears to be what's happened.

But if I pull the latest sources, then like you, I see lots of unmerged
changes if I do a "git diff master origin/develop".

Is it possible there were unmerged changes from prior to this one:
https://github.com/boostorg/multi_index/commit/590e3d151181716f05a4daaf7f371cbde04171d7 ?

If so, and if this is where the original git merge point was placed, then
these wouldn't be merged, and you'd need to use something like git
cherrypick I guess to move those over.

Not helping much yours, John.