Subject: Re: [boost] [git][multi_index] help merging from develop
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-24 11:46:51

On 24 December 2013 14:19, Joaquin M Lopez Munoz <joaquin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Daniel James <daniel <at> calamity.org.uk> writes:
>

>> On 24 December 2013 13:03, Joaquin M Lopez Munoz <joaquin <at> tid.es> wrote:
>> >
>> > even though branch develop is indeed different from (and more
>> > recent than) the code in master (it contains changes from about
>> > one month or so intended for Boost 1.56 that weren't published when
>> > the branch master was originally created)
>>
>> How did you merge? I tried checking out the old version and merging,
>> and got a lot of merge conflicts (I think you got your merge point a
>> little wrong, but that isn't a big problem). Did that happen for you?
>
> At some point that happened to me, I seem to remember I reverted or
> something and then retried. Not completely sure, though, now the situation
> is as I describe, git merge --no-ff develop tells me I'm up-to-date
> even though branches are different.

The different methods to revert changes in git are really confusing.
It's possible that you reverted them in a manner which left the merge
information in place (such as 'git checkout master *'). The best way
to completely revert changes is 'git reset --hard'.

>> Do you want to have master identical to develop?
>
> Yes, I want the master branch to be exactly the same aas the branch
> develop stands now.

There used to be 'git merge -s theirs' for doing that, which was the
opposite of 'git merge -s ours' but they removed it. I did a quick
search and found a solution on stack overflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/a/5211321/2434):

git diff --binary origin/develop | git apply -R --index
git commit -m "Copy content from develop"

Which is at least less fuss than the other solutions.