Subject: Re: [boost] [git][multi_index] help merging from develop
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-24 09:19:19

Daniel James <daniel <at> calamity.org.uk> writes:

> On 24 December 2013 13:03, Joaquin M Lopez Munoz <joaquin <at> tid.es> wrote:
> >
> > even though branch develop is indeed different from (and more
> > recent than) the code in master (it contains changes from about
> > one month or so intended for Boost 1.56 that weren't published when
> > the branch master was originally created)
>
> How did you merge? I tried checking out the old version and merging,
> and got a lot of merge conflicts (I think you got your merge point a
> little wrong, but that isn't a big problem). Did that happen for you?

At some point that happened to me, I seem to remember I reverted or
something and then retried. Not completely sure, though, now the situation
is as I describe, git merge --no-ff develop tells me I'm up-to-date
even though branches are different.

> Or maybe you used "git merge -s ours"? The "-s ours" flag on the wiki
> was just for creating the merge point, as it tells git to use the
> "ours" merge strategy, which basically performs no merge at all
> (roughly similar to using 'svn merge --record-only' in subversion).
> The text on the wiki should be clearer here.

I did -s ours as explained in "First post-svn conversion merge to master",
and this seems to have gone well (commit meddage "created first merge
point for Git".) It is on the second commit that I messed things up,
seemingly (commit message "Merge branch 'develop'"), and to be honest
I don't remember if I used -s ours (I understand I mustn't use it,
but I did something wrong, maybe it was that.)

> Do you want to have master identical to develop?

Yes, I want the master branch to be exactly the same aas the branch
develop stands now.

Thank you,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica Digital