Subject: [boost] [GitHelp] (Mis-)Understanding merge
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-26 01:50:35

I was following Modular Boost document "Establishing a merge point after
SVN Conversion"
(https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/PostCvtMergePoint) and everything
appeared to go well. I did my 'merge', 'commit', and 'push' specified at
the end of the document and things seemed pretty good so I was confident
I had established a correct merge point.

Knowing that the latest 'develop' had been pushed and tested I
determined to update 'master' with the latest 'develop' prior to pushing
it. So I did a merge from 'develop' to 'master' and after carefully
fixing a few minor conflicts in favor of the 'develop' versions the
merge was successful.

Yet when I looked at the files involved I noticed that a file which was
in 'develop' was not in 'master'. How can this be ? If I merge from
'develop' to 'master' are not any files in 'develop' which are not in
'master' added automatically to 'master' ? If this is not the case it
seems that a 'merge' is not doing what I expect it to do. Am I really
expected to have to manually add files to 'master' which are in
'develop' and not in 'master' prior to the merge, or I have I missed
some 'merge' functionality that would have done this for me automatically ?