Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Thank you Daniel James
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-04 11:19:16

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Andrey Semashev wrote:

>> > Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how, given a .qbk file, one
>> > obtains viewable .html in the simplest possible way?
>>
>> I think once you have it installed [1], all you have to do is 'b2
>> release' in the doc directory.
>>
>> [1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/doc/html/quickbook/install.html
>>

> Forgive the stupid question, but why does quickbook generate boostbook
> xml, which then generates html, instead of quickbook generating html
> directly?

Not a stupid question.. Just a historical one. The precursor to quickbook
did generate HTML directly. It was "ported" to generate docbook to have it
integrate into the then newish Boost documentation toolchain based on
docbook in order to simplify doc writing with a simpler wiki like syntax.

I do know that boostbook can do PDF as well, but in the common case the
> developer running quickbook doesn't need a PDF.

It's been a wish of mine, with some work done long ago towards it, to bring
back some form of direct HTML generation. In particular to make quickbook
backend generation programmable.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything