Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-docs] [quickbook] Thank you Daniel James
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-04 11:51:33

On 4 June 2014 16:19, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Andrey Semashev wrote:

You're welcome.

A while ago, I started writing some user documentation for the
documentation toolchain, although I stopped work on it for the git
transition. Progress so far is at:

http://boostorg.github.io/quickbook/doc/html/boost_doc_tools.html

>> Forgive the stupid question, but why does quickbook generate boostbook
>> xml, which then generates html, instead of quickbook generating html
>> directly?
>>

> Not a stupid question.. Just a historical one. The precursor to quickbook
> did generate HTML directly. It was "ported" to generate docbook to have it
> integrate into the then newish Boost documentation toolchain based on
> docbook in order to simplify doc writing with a simpler wiki like syntax.

Yes, boostbook markup is hard-coded into a lot of places.

I had a crude html generator in the abandoned spirit 2 branch, I think
it's the only feature I didn't backport. It could do a passable job of
simple markup, but for complicated documents it wasn't much use.
Especially for documents which use doxygen, as that is used to
generate boostbook. I felt it was more useful to concentrate on
improving the language.