Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost Library Incubator] Unable to submit library
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-22 06:27:39

On 22 Jul 2014 at 15:17, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> On 22/07/2014 07:50, Robert Ramey wrote:
> > Andrey Semashev-2 wrote
> >> Keeping auto-generated files in git is not a good idea. Syncing is not as
> >> simple as it may seem, it also spams history and increases the repo size.
> >> There was a discussion about this earlier, and I think the consensus was
> >> unanimous.
> >
> > lol - maybe it was unanimous among those who see it as an issue.
>
> It should be unanimous among everybody. Those who don't think they
> object to it have merely not yet encountered the merge hell that it
> generates.
>
> (To be clear: -1 for generated files in Git.)

AFIO ships generated .qbk files in git, but not html nor pdf. I let
the CI generate those and publish those on the internet for anyone
interested.

The generated .qbk files are necessary though, generating them is
very brittle and requires precise versions of things.

> This could even be a separate GitHub repo (eg. personal one) if the
> maintainer doesn't have any other public webspace available -- but under
> no circumstances should it be the "real" library repo.

A Jenkins CI is even better. Automatically always fresh.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/