Subject: Re: [boost] Directory structure not quite right yet?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-01 11:02:46

On 1/1/2015 9:50 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>> Note that this does not mean that there will be no such common
>> directory in users' setups. The equivalent of 'make install' or
>> package installation can (and I'm sure will, at least for some time)
>> form the boost directory with all public headers. The location of this
>> directory is system-specific.
>
> Happy New Year :-)
>
> Let's assume Windows then. Let's say that the package installer installs
> libs/this and libs/that into C:\boost-1.57.0, and then does the
> equivalent of "b2 headers". The header links go into
> C:\boost-1.57.0\boost, and the user needs to add C:\boost-1.57.0 to the
> include path. I say that -I C:\boost-1.57.0\include is better and more
> consistent with expectations.

+1

Normally software distributions have their header files off some
directory, usually called "include", from their product's install
directory. Boost having their header files off of the install directory
is an anomaly and I concur with Peter that this should be changed for
better consistency with other software.