Subject: Re: [boost] Directory structure not quite right yet?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-01 11:29:49

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 1/1/2015 9:50 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
>
>> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>>
>>> Note that this does not mean that there will be no such common
>>> directory in users' setups. The equivalent of 'make install' or
>>> package installation can (and I'm sure will, at least for some time)
>>> form the boost directory with all public headers. The location of this
>>> directory is system-specific.
>>>

>> Happy New Year :-)
>>
>> Let's assume Windows then. Let's say that the package installer installs
>> libs/this and libs/that into C:\boost-1.57.0, and then does the
>> equivalent of "b2 headers". The header links go into
>> C:\boost-1.57.0\boost, and the user needs to add C:\boost-1.57.0 to the
>> include path. I say that -I C:\boost-1.57.0\include is better and more
>> consistent with expectations.
>>

> +1
>
> Normally software distributions have their header files off some
> directory, usually called "include", from their product's install
> directory. Boost having their header files off of the install directory is
> an anomaly and I concur with Peter that this should be changed for better
> consistency with other software.

I believe we already do that with "b2 install" at the Boost root. As can be
seen from the Jamroot docs.. <
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/blob/master/Jamroot#L31>. Which are
listedn on "b2 --help" at the Boost root.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything