Subject: Re: [boost] Directory structure not quite right yet?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-02 00:35:02

Rene Rivera wrote:

> I believe we already do that with "b2 install" at the Boost root.

I think I've certain trouble being understood. :-)

The workflow people seem to have in mind is this:

- download boost-1.57.0.zip
- unpack into c:\tmp\boost-1.57.0
- b2 install into c:\boost-1.57.0
- delete c:\tmp\boost-1.57.0

OK, but let's imagine a different scenario. Suppose I've decided that I want
just Boost.Filesystem?

- download boost-1.57.0.zip
- unpack into c:\tmp\boost-1.57.0
- b2 install --with-system --with-filesystem into c:\boost-1.57.0
- delete c:\tmp\boost-1.57.0

Now suppose that, at a later date, I also want Boost.DateTime?

- download boost-1.57.0.zip
- unpack into c:\tmp\boost-1.57.0
- b2 install --with-date_time into c:\boost-1.57.0
- delete c:\tmp\boost-1.57.0

Redownloading the whole package seems a but redundant, doesn't it? Would it
not make sense to leave it all in c:\boost-1.57.0 and just build things
there as needed? Am I really the only one who does that?