Subject: Re: [boost] Library list generated from meta/libraries.json files
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-05 13:42:48

Daniel James wrote:

> If we have a full package system, it might want to use a different file
> format.

I already have a full package system and it uses meta/libraries.json to
generate the library list because those files already exist. :-)

> I'm not sure why a package manager would need to know when a library was
> first released.

It doesn't. I just looked at http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_57_0/ and tried
to replicate it. It has First Release, so I assumed that people are
interested in it, so I included it. It didn't occur to me that this field is
present because the script uses it to generate the historical lists, not
because it's of particular interest for users.

I was somewhat misled by the fact that functional/meta/libraries.json does
have boost-version for all functional/ libraries. And since you're the
author of that, I assumed that this is the golden reference for the format,
and that therefore boost-version is a required field, and it's been omitted
from all other files by mistake. But the mistake was, apparently, mine. :-)

Incidentally, some libraries have "std": [ "tr1" ], and some have
"std-proposal": false, "std-tr1": false. (Actually, now that I grepped, only
Assert has the latter. I suppose "std" is correct and Assert is using an
outdated schema?)