Subject: Re: [boost] GSOC 2015 : Project on Concurrent Hash Tables
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-02 17:14:37

On 1 Feb 2015 at 19:41, Anmol Sood wrote:

> I saw the GSOC 2015 Boost page (
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015) and the project on
> concurrent hash tables looks really interesting to me. I would like to know
> on the kind of pre-requisite skills required for the project and if I could
> share the progress I am making on writing code for the programming
> competency test here.

Firstly, you have made a great start Anmol coming here good and
early.

Absolutely feel free to share your progress here. I as the person
marking your application and anyone else who applies probably can't
help you too much with specifics, but other people here may do so if
you ask in the right way. And a large chunk of a successful GSoC is
asking the open source community involved for feedback and help where
needed, which can include stackoverflow (tip: post a link to any SO
questions here, you may get an answer on SO from someone here).

Note that I'll direct any additional applicants to this thread so
everyone has an equal and fair chance. You may wish to consider this
aspect if posting code publicly.

> Any tips/advice on helping me to get started on working for this project
> will be really helpful.

I'd firstly get the unit tests compiling. That library (Spinlock) has
a criminal lack of documentation, what there is is all doxygen
generated API reference and nothing on build config. However,
Spinlock is BindLib based and therefore does not actually need Boost
if you have a C++ 11 compiler and STL. Hint: look in the test
directory.

Next I'd follow the hints in the competency test to implement the
test which ought to be fairly easy after examining rehash(), and then
I'd be looking for really well thought through functional testing for
the new functionality, especially testing for exception safety and
thread safety in addition to use of check tools such as valgrind and
ThreadSanitizer to ensure your solution is rock solid. The other
functional tests already there give a good hint as to what is
required, but I'll also say that the existing testing is not in my
opinion sufficient, particularly in coverage.

And good luck!

Niall
---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2015 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2015