Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 19:22:00

Stephen Kelly-2 wrote
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> I can say What I believe we want to move toward is the ability for users
>> deploy a useful subset of boost in order to support his applications. I
>> don't
>> think that's unreasonable or controversial.
>
> Then tell us the user-story. Does the user download a tarball or not?
> What's
> the rest of the story?

If it were done via tar balls the procedure would look something like the
following:

a) There would be one tar ball per library. I guess that means that if done
today that
would mean around 118 libraries.

b) user builds his app. he starts out small and includes a couple of
libraries.
Every time he loads a library, he runs the app through one of the dependency
tools.
This would tell him what other libraries he needs. He would download these
new
tarballs, expand them and built it app.

c) At any point he would have the minimum subset of boost required to build
his app.

d) if his "app" consisted if a group of files, he'd run the group through
the dependency
tools to get the library list.

e) if he wanted to test one of the libraries - he'd run the library test
directory through
the dependency tool in order to get a list of libraries he needs to build
and run the tests.
Of course, this would indicate a different (larger) list of libraries that
he would have
to download and install.

This how I see the system working. Honestly, I don't see how it could work
any other way.

Robert Ramey