Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Steve M. Robbins (steve_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 23:32:12

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 04:22:00PM -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:

> If it were done via tar balls the procedure would look something like the
> following:
>
> a) There would be one tar ball per library. I guess that means that if done
> today that
> would mean around 118 libraries.

So ... 118 tarballs?

> b) user builds his app. he starts out small and includes a couple of
> libraries.
> Every time he loads a library, he runs the app through one of the dependency
> tools.
> This would tell him what other libraries he needs. He would download these
> new
> tarballs, expand them and built it app.

I can't imagine this to be a very common use case. After about 2-3 build failures
due to missing libraries, your user is going to desperately want "all of boost"
in one tarball.

But suppose I'm wrong. Once the user has got 43 required libraries downloaded
and the app builds ... time passes and he uses some previously-unused functionality
from one of those 43 libraries that now pulls in a 44th: build failure. Ugh.

It's not how I want to work. When want to use library X, I want X plus all
its dependencies for any conceiveable program: "apt-get install X-dev" and go.
I don't want to have to keep running a dependency tool on my source code.

-Steve