Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-04 00:10:34

Steve M. Robbins-2 wrote
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 04:22:00PM -0800, Robert Ramey wrote:
> I can't imagine this to be a very common use case. After about 2-3 build
> failures
> due to missing libraries, your user is going to desperately want "all of
> boost"
> in one tar ball.

what about when boost hits 500 libraries? Is he still going to want the
whole thing?

He'll always be able to get the "whole thing". That's not an issue.
The whole discussion is predicated on the idea that one shouldn't have to
download
the whole thing. For other users - this discussion is not relevant.

> It's not how I want to work. When want to use library X, I want X plus
> all
> its dependencies for any conceiveable program:

Hmmm and you want to distribute DLLS with your program which are many times
larger than necessary? Will your customers be happy with that?

> "apt-get install X-dev" and go.
> I don't want to have to keep running a dependency tool on my source code.

OK - no problem, you're already good to go.

Robert Ramey