Subject: Re: [boost] BOOST_PP array extension proposal
From: Gruenke,Matt (mgruenke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-13 12:29:33

-----Original Message-----
From: Boost [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Edward Diener
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 17:11

> Given that variadic macros are supported for just about all compilers now,

Out of curiosity, do you mean all C++ compilers or all C compilers?

The reason I ask is that I've made a C equivalent of STL, using Boost PP. It's just a proof of concept, at this stage (only a few containers and algorithms implemented, so far). It was originally intended for OpenCL kernels, but since C++ support was added in 2.1, it seemed pointless to pursue that objective. However, there are still plenty of pure C codebases out there, and having had to work in a couple, I'd been yearning for the power and convenience of STL.

It's still my intention to clean up and release it for C, someday. I realize that this probably falls outside the scope of BOOST_PP, and certainly the larger Boost project. But if/when I do release it, I'd like to retain the broadest compiler compatibility, as many C projects are legacy code for legacy platforms (with legacy tools) and would prefer not to force users to track down and install an old version of BOOST_PP.

BTW, is anyone aware of such a library already in existence?

Thanks for all the great work that went into BOOST_PP. Before running across it, I never knew the humble C preprocessor was so capable.

Matt

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in respect of any information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and immediately destroy this e-mail and its attachments.