Subject: Re: [boost] Compiler warnings after boost update
From: Auer, Jens (jens.auer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-23 10:52:06

> i can only invite those people who experience these warnings to contribute patches
> to silence them: if warning-free headers are important for your project, it is best to
> test new boost versions early (maybe even checkouts of the develop branch) and
> submit pull requests to the specific libraries before they are released ...

Without a general consensus on warning handling policy, this would become a sysiphus job.
Let's say I fix the warnings which currently represent problems in my project. During the
development of the next release, other people commit new code with new warnings, or
may even change the fixes to emit new warnings. I think there needs be general policy
that code should not introduce new warnings, and that changed code is warning free.

At my job, we have a similar problem with a legacy system that contains thousands of
warnings. We use SonarQube to monitor the warnings, and to enforce that changes are
warnings-free.

Cheers,
  Jens