Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.GSL?
From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-24 15:05:35

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:22 AM, David Sankel <camior_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> What do you all think? Would it be appropriate and/or desirable to have a
> Boost.GSL library?'

I haven't looked specifically at it, but I don't see why it would be a
problem as long as the library goes through review just like anything else.
Things may be suggested for change as that's just the nature of review, but
if he really doesn't agree with something and it is preventing the library
from getting accepted, he could always back out the process at that point.

I agree with Nevin, though. If there is no review then there is a serious
problem. No library is exempt from initial review. IMO, it also shouldn't
be considered authoritative if accepted, but rather, just a set utilities
and guidelines suggested by the author. It shouldn't be given special
treatment, except maybe that we'd intentionally avoid breaking the library
apart even if it were to turn out that certain components might otherwise
be a natural fit in existing boost libraries. The library can suggest exact
guidelines, but other boost libraries would individually choose to follow
them. If and when the library would be accepted, I think at that point we
could decide if the boost coding guidelines should be adjusted by way of a
separate process.

--
-Matt Calabrese