Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.GSL?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-24 16:46:49

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:22 PM, David Sankel <camior_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> As you may or may not know, Bjarne Stroustrup, Herb Sutter, and others have
> announced a new set of C++ guidelines[1] and an accompanying library[2]
> that supports them. For many folks, it would be difficult to incorporate a
> new library into their organizations, but there is a strong desire to make
> use of the guidelines.
>

> I floated the idea of including GSL in Boost as a distribution mechanism to
> Bjarne and he said he doesn't have any objection to the idea in principle,
> although he is hesitant to having to go through an extensive review process
> where some of these basic structures would change.
>
> What do you all think? Would it be appropriate and/or desirable to have a
> Boost.GSL library?

The full talk is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEu9C51K2A

Herb Sutter's take the next day is also essential to understanding the
whole picture. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEx5DNLWGgA

Because the purpose of the GSL is to use the C++ type system to annotate
source code in a portable way so that a static analyzer can detect
otherwise undetectable errors, the GSL is closely tied to the static
analyzer, the best home for the library is under the direct control of the
team (led by Neil MacIntosh) who are developing the static analyzer.

And with the library up on GitHub there isn't really a distribution problem.

Incidentally, the VC++ version of the analyzer is due to ship next month,
with the clang version to follow relatively soon after that. I haven't
heard when the GCC version might ship yet.

Incidentally, it was also announced that the VC++ implementation of a
proposed C++ Modules TS system will ship with Visual Studio 2015 update 1.
No official announcement of when that will ship, but the guessing is they
are aiming for sometime in October.

--Beman