Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.GSL?
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-25 02:47:04

On 24 September 2015 at 16:02, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> I can see there is a library of different components, some of which are
> probably useful (again, I didn't take a detailed look). Most of it looks
> like it could be proposed as an extension of Boost.Utility, but it could be
> separated into one or multiple libraries.

IMO, they need to be in their own namespace far away from the boost
namespace.

Concrete example: GSL has its own string_view <
https://github.com/Microsoft/GSL/blob/master/include/string_view.h>, which
doesn't match the interface of std::experimental::string_view. The domains
are similar enough that this name will do nothing but cause endless
confusion. Given this is a new project with no obvious historical reason
to use the name string_view, I'm a bit wary about such a project that isn't
paying attention to what is being standardized.

Being in a separate namespace means one *can* name it the same, but that
doesn't mean that one *should*.

Personally I disagree with some of the guidelines, so I would probably
> reject it during the review anyway.

Same here.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]>  (847) 691-140