Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Testing and Pushing updates to library
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-09-30 16:59:51

On 30.09.2015 22:07, Artyom Beilis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm back to Boost after my last commits were in svn and now I need to make sure I do stuff correctly in git/github.
>
> In boost-svn there were trunk for development and release for up-to date release, currently master is what "release branch" is svn
> was and develop is what trunk?
>
> Q: Is it correct.

Yes. With git though you would typically do temporary commits in
feature-specific branches which you would merge to develop when the
job's done. But that's not a requirement.

Also, see here:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModMaint

> I have several fixes - I pushed them to master branch of Boost.Locale library.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/locale/compare/26482aa844...ea55386441
>
> I did same for develop (I hope correctly)
>
> Q: Is pushing changes to master it enough to get them into next boost release?

Yes, every Boost release is based on master branches of the submodules.

But you should generally merge your changes to develop first, let the
tests run and then merge develop to master. You should not merge or
commit directly to master. This includes merging pull requests.

> I had some strange behavior of "detached Head" so I needed to create small temporary local branch and than merge it to master...
> Q: is it normal? Can't I commit/push directly to master without temporary branch?

You could get into a detached state if you ran 'git submodule update'
since the superproject refers to a particular commit in your submodule,
not a branch. When you want to work on your library you should do 'git
checkout develop' in your submodule - this will checkout the develop
branch and every commit you do will go into that branch. The
superproject will update automatically to refer to the last commit you
pushed in develop/master.

> Testing - in svn there were regression tests for both release and trunk branches of svn...
>
> Q: What happens now with regression tests I cound't find the information in the wiki.

Basically, nothing changed. The tests are run separately for master and
develop branches of all submodules, you can find links to the test
results on the website. Although currently the test results are down due
to a problem.