Subject: Re: [boost] interest in an asynchronous linear algebra library?
From: Oswin Krause (Oswin.Krause_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-22 09:06:43

On 2015-11-21 06:12, Sebastian Schaetz wrote:
> Hi Oswin,
>
> On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 9:56:13 AM UTC-5, Oswin Krause
> wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose a new library to boost: asynchronous blas.
>
> asynchrony and optimization of the AST are very interesting techniques
> that the DL community should leverage. There is a lot of existing
> knowledge and code in this area so in addition to looking at standard
> proposals I would recommend you look into advanced expression template
> libraries like NT2 [0] or Eigen [1] when researching previous work. I
> would also recommend you look into HPX [2].

Hi Sebastian (and others),

I am a bit confused by the replies. Is this a "yes, there is interest
but do some proper research beforehand"?

Of course I do know Eigen, Armadillo and NT2 as I had to do some
research in the past for the linked library. For the CPU part i was
indeed planning a system with an interface similar to HPX,but I can not
rely on HPX because It would then be a mandatory external library - and
distributed computations are currently not in the scope of the
project(honestly, I do not have enough experience with distributed
computing to start such an endeavor).

The question for me is: is there enough interest in such a thing that it
is worthwhile for me to create a minimal prototype on which a discussion
could be based on?

Best,
Oswin