Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-03-01 14:19:44

Niall,

let me start by stressing how much I appreciate all you are doing for
Boost, and the GSoC administration in particular.

However...

On 01.03.2016 14:07, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2016 at 12:13, Andreas Schäfer wrote:
>
>> IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected. There's
>> really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.
> It is deeply disappointing for those students and mentors affected.
> It is highly disruptive to the pipeline we are running, and is not a
> case of simply pressing Pause on GSoC for a year. Many if not most of
> our students are postgrads, and next year they will no longer be
> eligible for GSoC.
>
>> For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
>> not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
>> Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
>> impact. I think that's a good thing.
> Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

...I find the above rather rude. And in particular as a potential GSoC
mentor I have to strongly object, not only to your tone, but also the
content. Please speak for yourself ! I don't see any trolling in this
thread.

I do appreciate Andreas' perspective, and I even agree with him. Of
course I would have preferred (as a potential Boost GSoC mentor) if the
Boost org had been selected. However, I can definitely appreciate the
desire to diversify the support into many different projects and
organizations, notably in smaller ones that lack any other form of
funding or administrative support.

Now let's all get over this disappointment and focus on what we can do
to improve the state of Boost, and support our prospective students in
other ways.

Kind regards,
        Stefan