Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Norbert Wenzel (norbert.wenzel.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-22 09:55:11

On 05/22/2016 03:27 PM, Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Norbert Wenzel
> <norbert.wenzel.lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> But any new library that requires C++14 is of no use to our company
>
> What about C++11?

Yes, C++11 is used extensively in new code and is supported by GCC 4.8.
Older devices are less likely to get any new features, thus support for
older compilers with new versions of Boost is probably not needed.
In my reply I was specifically referring to the idea of making a C++14
Boost 2.0 subset/fork for the reason to support *the entire* C++
community, which seemed a bit contradictory from my point of view.

> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Thijs (M.A.) van den Berg
> <thijs_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> If the devices are network attached then this sounds like a great usecase for testing the beast http boost library?
>
> Note that Beast requires C++11 (see
> http://vinniefalco.github.io/beast/beast/intro/requirements.html)

Thanks for that suggestion, but permanent network connection and HTTP
are not available at the moment.