Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-22 09:57:37

On 22.05.2016 13:57, Klemens Morgenstern wrote:
> There is something you can do: compile a new version and create a dpk
> for your coworkers. I get the thing about the codebase, but the argument
> "my ubuntu doesn't ship" is just nonsensical. By that logic you could
> not develop on windows at all, because it does not ship a compiler as
> part of the OS at all.

I am actually moving in that direction. I just haven't gotten all of
the cross-compilers I need to compile, because:
    - Compiling gcc is complicated.
    - Compiling gcc cross compilers is more complicated.
    - Various third-party scripts to compile gcc cross compilers haven't
worked for me, and are complicated enough that it's not obvious to me
where the problem is.
    - I have other priorities.
Of course, this only works if I distribute my work in binary form
(doable in my case, but not an option for open source developers),
redistribute gcc in binary form (not a serious option in my case), or
require that all of my users recompile gcc (*really* not an option).

I like clang. I also like to test my code on multiple compilers, which
is why I'm using clang in addition to gcc, not as a replacement.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])