Subject: Re: [boost] Attention library authors.. Library requirements testing is now active.
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-14 22:45:00

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > As part of continued efforts to move testing to CI, to facilitate release
> > management, and to provide more information to authors I've now
> implemented
> > some testing changes:
> >
> > 1. Most libraries are now tested automatically if they have a usable test
> > directory.
>
> How will this interact with libraries that already have their own CI
> setup?

Is your CI triggered whenever a submodule is synced to boostorg/boost?
> If so, there's going to be quite a bit of redundant testing being done,
> and since all of boostorg is sharing the same Travis resources (I think),
> that could quickly become a problem. Is this a valid concern?

My plan is to make how a library uses CI up to the authors. I'm working on
a script that will hopefully make it really simple to have a library use CI
testing and that authors can essentially drop in (it's the script I use to
test Predef by the way). But I'm not going to force anyone to use it. If
you already have CI testing you might not want to switch. But hopefully
many authors will use it as it will handle multiple CI systems, multiple
toolsets, etc.

As for sharing resources.. I do believe they are shared across all Boost
repos. But we wont be limited to Travis. And there's the possibility of
paying for extra resources. And eventually I hope we can turn our existing
custom testers into a CI pool also.

Most of this the plans are not in the near future. The near ones are trying
to clean up and reorganize libraries and test scripts to make it possible
to figure out what we can do. And also to make doing releases as automatic
and painless as possible for everyone.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything