Subject: Re: [boost] CMake Modularization
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-02 18:16:22

David Sankel wrote:
> CMake's FindBoost.cmake interface is awkward to use sometimes, but it is
> how most CMake applications use Boost these days. If we could provide a
> drop-in replacement that builds from a source repository on an as-needed
> basis, it would get a ton of immediate use. Something worth considering.

After thinking about this a bit, I'm still not sure how are we to resolve
the conflict between in-Boost use and standalone use of, f.ex. Hana.

The use case in which Boost libraries are brought into a project via git
submodules requires a CMakeLists.txt file that is different from the one
that standalone libraries currently use. As one example of the differences,
standalone libraries find the system Boost installation and use that for
their dependencies.

I suppose my earlier suggestion of putting the submodule CMakeLists into
libs/*/build instead of libs/* could work. But there'll still be a potential
conflict with libs/*/test/CMakeLists.txt.