Subject: Re: [boost] Which headers to include?
From: Miguel Ojeda (miguel.ojeda.sandonis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-03 21:30:30

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 6:08 PM, Lakshay Garg via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hello Boost
>
> I am using a few Boost libraries in a project I am working on. I must
> confess that this is perhaps my first serious use of boost so all this
> could just be due to lack of familiarity. The one thing that keeps
> frustrating me about boost is finding out _which headers to include?_
>
> I am not sure if this is a problem with my googling skills or library
> documentation or maybe I just don't know the proper place to look at
> but most of the times I need to use a library with lots of headers (I
> am looking at Boost.Log) I have to go grepping the boost code.
>
> Is there something I am missing or is there a better way to go about
> this problem?

Not really -- some libraries have different conventions as Andrey
points out; and therefore it is from time to time a bit hard to find
out what you need because you have to re-adjust to the style of
documentation of each library. A cppreference-style page for all of
Boost would be very useful. In addition, a cross-referencer (again for
all of Boost) would also be awesome as well. I am unsure whether
someone is maintaining one.

Another alternative for those without quick access to the code and/or
tools or while in the mobile phone is using GitHub's search
functionality when browsing the Boost's organization (i.e. inside the
super-repo it does not work).

By the way, next time please try to use the users' list for this kind
of question :-)

Cheers,
Miguel