Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc18] how to share a competency test
From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira (vini.ipsmaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-08 14:13:39

> I could of course propose
> one or two Boost.Python projects (there is lots to do), though I suppose
> it's a bit late for that now.

Students can propose their own projects.

Actually, it's a bit scary (from the student point of view) that in Boost
org, you need to convince some mentor to have interest in your project. I
mean, this year we have mentors for Boost.uBLAS, Boost.Geometry and
Boost.SafeFloat, but what is the student expected to do if he has a good
idea for Boost.Spirit or would like to revisit an abandoned proposal from
previous years? Here, not only the project/proposal itself must be good
(which is expected and okay), but he needs to find a mentor that will have
(personal) interest in the subject of the proposal.

I do not think we need to encourage (nor should) students to come up with
their own proposals (Inkscape had “bonus points” on the proposal ranking if
you did that), but at least it should be know that this is an option for
them.

I'm following all emails that have a [gsoc] tag on them, but usually the
discussions are already solved or have assigned mentors when I get to them
(so I leave the job of answering them to others).

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/