Subject: [boost] [gsoc18] Boost.Detour & Mentor Search
From: Michael Kiros (michaelakiros_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-14 08:19:51

Hello,

I'm a C++ developer and have been developing in C++ for over 6 years now in
my personal time. I wanted to accomplish two things with this post:

   1. Propose the idea of boost::detour
   2. Find a mentor in the process

Boost.Detour is not something new that I'd like to implement but a concept
in programming that I have been using for a very long time now and would
love to have it easily accessible with the inclusion of a simple
<boost/detour.hpp>. The idea is to have function hooking easily accessible
to everyone using C++. Though it may seem like a niche feature, function
hooking is more commonly used than most people think (e.g. modifying
binaries after compilation for feature addition, reverse engineering
proprietary software). It's a beautiful concept when you see it working.

In the process I need a mentor to guide me through the process of putting
down my ideas to paper and implementing them according to the standards
that Boost holds. This includes replacing components from my library with
Boost concepts (e.g. boost::process).

I'm also a student at Texas Tech University studying Computer Science.

Can't wait to hear from someone.

Michael