Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc18] Mentor Search for Boost.Geometry idea
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-03-16 12:46:58

Hi Tinko,

Tinko Bartels Via Boost wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my name is Tinko Bartels, I'm studying to get a Master's degree in
> Mathematics at TU Berlin. I'm interested to work on Boost Geometry. I'm
> working at the university for a couple of years on C++ projects that rely on
> Boost libraries, most notably Boost.Geometry. Our work involves the
> computation of exact covers of spaces with boxes. This motivated my idea to
> add support to
>
> void union_(Geometry1 const & geometry1, Geometry2 const & geometry2,
> Collection & output_collection)
> void sym_difference(Geometry1 const & geometry1, Geometry2 const &
> geometry2, Collection & output_collection)
> void difference(Geometry1 const & geometry1, Geometry2 const & geometry2,
> Collection & output_collection)
>
> for
>
> Geometry1=Geometry2=box
> and
> Collection is a collection of boxes.

That's interesting. I'm also willing to be a mentor, in case Vissarion
had too much work with other projects.
Out of curiosity could you give some example or is the behavior not
fully known yet?
For instance what would be the results of the above functions if we had
2 boxes overlapping each other with a small area near the vertex?
E.g. BOX(0 0, 5 5) and BOX(4 4, 9 9).

Adam