Subject: Re: [boost] Executable files in Boost git repostories
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-04 00:52:04

AMDG

On 12/03/2018 05:31 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> On 4/12/2018 13:24, Edward Diener wrote:
>> <snip>Obviously
>> operating system command/batch files are executable files, but should
>> they be so in a repository.
>
> Files which are not actually executable scripts should not have that bit
> set, of course.
>
> Files which are executable scripts generally should have the bit set,
> even in the repository.
>
> However then the question becomes: are these scripts only for the
> maintainer's use (in which case perhaps they shouldn't be in the
> repository?)

Such scripts belong in the repository anyway.
Else what would we do for libraries whose
maintainers' disappear? Or if a library
has multiple maintainers?

> or are they intended for user use (in which case what
> happens on platforms that cannot run the script?)

Just provide multiple scripts?

> So for portability reasons, in my opinion, it's probably better to get
> b2 to do things rather than writing custom scripts that don't work on
> all platforms.

I agree with Stefan. Deciding how to handle these
scripts is the responsibility of each individual
maintainer.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe