Subject: Re: [boost] Executable files in Boost git repostories
From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-04 01:29:02

On 4/12/2018 13:52, Steven Watanabe wrote:
>> However then the question becomes: are these scripts only for the
>> maintainer's use (in which case perhaps they shouldn't be in the
>> repository?)
>
> Such scripts belong in the repository anyway.
> Else what would we do for libraries whose
> maintainers' disappear? Or if a library
> has multiple maintainers?

Depends what the scripts do, of course. I was thinking of scripts that
used paths or packages local to the maintainer's machine and so wouldn't
work for anyone else anyway.

> Just provide multiple scripts?

For Windows and Linux, that's not too difficult. What about other
platforms? Especially those that the maintainer cannot test?

> I agree with Stefan. Deciding how to handle these
> scripts is the responsibility of each individual
> maintainer.

That is true, but it's not silly to provide guidelines.