Subject: Re: [boost] Executable files in Boost git repostories
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-12-04 10:13:07

On 12/4/18 3:31 AM, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:

> However then the question becomes: are these scripts only for the
> maintainer's use (in which case perhaps they shouldn't be in the
> repository?) or are they intended for user use (in which case what
> happens on platforms that cannot run the script?)
>
> So for portability reasons, in my opinion, it's probably better to get
> b2 to do things rather than writing custom scripts that don't work on
> all platforms.

I agree with you but only as long as the script is supposed to be run by
users, and routinely so. There's no reason to limit yourself to
Boost.Build otherwise. Remember, Boost.Build is not a general scripting
language, it's a build system. It's not as flexible or convenient as a
shell script in what a shell script can do, provided that you're in a
POSIX environment. Let alone, Python, for example.

And before anyone asks, if you don't have a POSIX environment, you
should really get one. Even on Windows it shouldn't be much of a
problem. It will do you good beyond Boost as well.