Subject: Re: [boost] Graph Algorithms
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-22 14:58:00

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 6:51 AM degski <degski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I see where you're coming from [a good place], but just look at stuff like
> https://github.com/serge-sans-paille/frozen or https://github.com/gnzlbg/static_vector ,
> that's cool stuff..

Yes it is cool, but of no use to C++11 users.

>Also, don't forget the parallel constructs, who needs omp:

I agree here, but there is no reason why this can't be a conditionally
enabled feature which is available only under cxx-new. It doesn't
imply that the entire library should require cxx-new.

> You're kiddin', right?

No.

> constexpr if

This is a convenience to the author but doesn't directly benefit
users. The same result can be achieved in C++11, but with more code.

> fold expressions

Same as constexpr if, this can be done in earlier versions but
requires more declaration.

> structured bindings

> variant,

Boost.Variant works in C++11

> any, optional

Both are available in Boost, in C++11

> guaranteed copy elision

Does this one feature justify making a library disqualify an entire
broad category of users? (Hint: no)

> lamda capture of 'this' (very handy),

Can be accomplished by expression the lambda as a class.

> Yes, I hear your argument. But I do think that for something new,
> C++14 would be a better start

I disagree. C++14 is a pointless update. Either go C++11, or go C++17.

Regards