Subject: Re: [boost] Graph Algorithms
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-02-22 15:15:40

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 16:58, Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 6:51 AM degski <degski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > I see where you're coming from [a good place], but just look at stuff
> like
> > https://github.com/serge-sans-paille/frozen or
> https://github.com/gnzlbg/static_vector ,
> > that's cool stuff..
>
> Yes it is cool, but of no use to C++11 users.

That's why they should become C++17 users.

>Also, don't forget the parallel constructs, who needs omp:
>
> I agree here, but there is no reason why this can't be a conditionally
> enabled feature which is available only under cxx-new. It doesn't
> imply that the entire library should require cxx-new.

There goes up your maintenance burden and somewhere it will bite.

> You're kiddin', right?
>
> No.

Didn't think you were.

> constexpr if
>
> This is a convenience to the author but doesn't directly benefit
> users. The same result can be achieved in C++11, but with more code.

TMP, sure, but it's complex and hell to debug. You should not see those
features in isolation as you seem to do, it's when you combine them, the
constexpr if, the constexpr lambda's etc, the sum is more than the
individual bits.

Boost.Variant works in C++11

> > any, optional
>
> Both are available in Boost, in C++11

I did not miss that, but I prefer the version maintained by my library
supplier, he/she makes sure it works correctly with the rest of my STL.

> > lamda capture of 'this' (very handy),
>
> Can be accomplished by expression the lambda as a class.

Or by typing this in the capture list, what's easier?

> Yes, I hear your argument. But I do think that for something new,
> > C++14 would be a better start
>
> I disagree. C++14 is a pointless update. Either go C++11, or go C++17.

Maybe, whether it's pointless I'm not capable of judging, I must admit I
never noticed C++14 (I did, unknowingly, use features of it, though), but
I'd vote for C++17, then.

We can just conclude [let's do that] that we are coming from different
directions. The sales-argument seems important to you, I don't need to sell
anything.

degski

--
*"Big boys don't cry" - **Eric Stewart, Graham Gouldman*